BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 19, 2012

Thirteen Point One

That's how many miles I ran Sunday, folks! It was such an accomplishment for myself. Ever since last February when I ran the 10K portion of the Mercedes Relay Marathon I knew I wanted to try for a half marathon. I had planned on running in the Talladega Half Marathon back in September, but I never registered for it. So I registered for the Magic City Half Marathon in mid-September. It may sound crazy, but I knew if I did not register for it way ahead of time I would never start training for it. The weekend after I registered I began my training. The first time I went for a "long run" I set out to do 6 miles....I surprised myself and was able to go 7! After that I tried to go a mile further each weekend. There were some weekends when we were out of town and I did not get to go on a long run, but I picked up where I had left off the next weekend. Each long run I went on I shocked myself; the runs felt good--not too hard! The last weekend before the race I went on my last long run {12 miles}. I felt nice and prepared when I finished that run; I knew adrenaline would get me through the last mile to 13! I set a goal for myself--2:05:00...

The Saturday night before the race Britt helped me make a new playlist to run to, and I made a pasta dish for dinner so I would have plenty of energy for my long run. I went to bed at a decent time to make sure I was well rested. Sunday morning I had Gatorade with my breakfast to get me nice and hydrated. Britt drove me to Linn Park and waited with me for the race to start. It was supposed to start at 8:00, but about 5 minutes before 8:00 they announced that there was going to be a delay because the Coke and Powerade truck were running late to get water and Powerade out on the course. Britt waited with me the extra 25 minutes it took for the race to start.
Waiting on the race to start! 
 

At 8:25 they called all participants to the starting line! I was excited and nervous all at the same time!

When the race began I got in my groove and felt like I could go on forever....and I did until mile 8. That's when it got hard. But I saw Britt, my dad, and Brooks cheering me on at mile 10 and it gave me the encouragement I needed to get through the last 3 miles. The last three miles was also when the hills started...who thought it would be nice to put hills at the end of the course?? I pushed through and made the final turn onto Reverend AbrahamWoods Jr. Blvd. and knew I was on the last stretch...when I finally spotted the finish line I ran as fast as I could to get there! I saw my sweet teacher friends and Britt, my dad, and Brooks cheering me on! When I saw the timer at the finish line I knew I was going to beat my goal!! It said 2:02:35!!! It was one of the greatest feelings of accomplishments that I have ever felt :) {Photos courtesy of Britt}
This was when Britt, Dad, and Brooks were cheering me on!! 
Coming to the finish line...my face looks horrid, but that's most likely how I felt after 13 miles! 
Whoo hoo!! Look at that time! Not bragging{it's probably not even that great}, but I am proud of myself:)
I was a wee bit excited that I finished my first half marathon!
After the race we went to Rojo for a bloody mary and brunch...it was good as always!

I intend to run my next half in February--the Mercedes Half Marathon. I'm already excited! Check back soon to see how the Smiths celebrated Thanksgiving. -Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment