BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, February 25, 2013

Mirror Mirror...a couple of projects and an update

Life continues to be busy in the Smith house. Work and Kindergarteners keep me busy, school and work at the BVLP keep Britt busy, and Baby S has been keeping us busy on the weekends! The past two weekends Britt has completed a project for the nursery. He sure is a handy husband/daddy! 

The first project he tackled was to make a mirror to hang above Baby S's dresser/changing table. When we bought the dresser it came with a mirror. BUT it was u.g.l.y. The dresser is old/antique and the mirror, well, it was not. You could tell someone had added it. Unfortunately I have champagne taste on a beer {Natty Light} budget. If you have ever priced pretty mirrors you know they can be pricey--out of our price range right now, anyway. However, we solved that problem pretty easily. We took off the ugly frame around the mirror. Then we made a trip to our local Lowe's, picked up a few supplies and then Britt built a frame to go around the mirror that came with the dresser. I won't even begin to try and tell you how he built this pretty frame, but here are some pictures of my handy man hard at work! 
 
 
We used a hammered finish spray paint, and I love how it turned out! Love the sweet detail of the moulding.
Y'all all know I love to run. As I said in my last post, I have not given up running yet {nor do I plan to in the near future!}. I had planned to run the Mercedes Half Marathon on February 17th, but Baby S came along and had other plans. I didn't feel comfortable running that long of a distance. My doctor did give me the okay for medium distances though! So I signed up for the relay part of the race instead of the half. I ran the 12K leg of the race and it was great. It was a beautiful day for a race. The temp was nice. It is always so fun to me to run in the middle of the streets I am used to driving on and always seeing so busy. I finished with a 9:24 pace...normally I would have wanted a little faster pace, but with a baby on board I can't complain! 
After running 8.1 miles Baby S and I were s.t.a.r.v.i.n.g. We had not tried out Saw's Juke Joint yet, so we decided to go there. I ordered the pork stuffed "tater" and it was the biggest potato I had ever seen...this picture doesn't do it justice! I did eat all of it though. Don't judge. 
 We made it to the last week of the first trimester! 
Before starting our next project last Saturday, we had a few errands to run. While we were out we stopped at the Mexican food truck off of Valley Ave. We had heard it was good. And it was! It's cheap also...we each got 2 tacos and waters and it was only $10.00--can't beat that for a Saturday lunch eating out!
It's authentic mexican tacos, not the Americanized versions we are used to getting! 
The majority {and I mean 90% +} of the customers are Hispanic. We took that as a sign that the food really is good!
 I'm also gearing up for Easter/Spring in our house. A couple of weekends ago my momma and I got this little dish and speckled eggs at Leaf 'n' Petal. I finally picked up some preserved moss at Hobby Lobby, and wa-la...a pretty addition to the side table! 
 Okay, so on to project number 2 for Baby S's nursery. I know I will want to display the baby's coming home outfit, christening gown, and any other special/pretty outfits in the nursery. Britt made a beautiful wooden "thing" {I don't know what to call it!} just for the pretty outfits to hang on. Here's a short synopsis of how it went down. Britt cut a 2x4 into three equal pieces, he cut some plywood to screw to the back of the 2x4s to hold them together, we spray painted the wood with wood stain, we attached the 2x4s together with the plywood, and he drilled 3 holes to screw the pretty knobs into. Here are some pictures.
All the supplies we needed! 
The finished product...I love how it turned out! 
 
 Last project of the weekend...we {Britt} installed this pretty chandelier and medallion in Baby S's room! I am in love with it! 
And here, we have made it to 14 weeks...the beginning of the second trimester. Whaaaat?!?
 
Perhaps a tiny pooch is starting to show...still looks pretty flat to me, though. 
Here's an update on Baby S and myself...
How far along? 14 weeks!

Size of baby: Baby is about the size of a lemon. That's about 3.5 inches long and it weighs about 1.5 ounces! This baby just keeps on growing!


Wait gain: I don't go back to the doctor until next Wednesday, but according to my scale about 2 lbs. It fluctuates depending on what we eat! 

Stretch marks: That's still a negative! Still using my cocoa butter...so I hope it stays that way. 

Gender: We shall find out on or around August 26th! 

Movement: Not yet...I can't wait to feel that first kick, though.

Sleep: Still sleeping well, thankfully!

Food cravings: I think I'm the weirdest pregnant woman on Earth...I don't have cravings.

What I miss: Sushi, wine, and beer. I'm sure this will continue to be the case for the next 26 weeks. 

Symptoms: Nothing exciting. I am starting to see my veins running through my body really clearly, which weirds me out. 

Belly button: In.

Wedding rings: On, and still loose! 

Maternity clothes: NO!!! My pants still fit as good as ever and I'm not complaining! And I'm still hoping for flowy dresses to be all I need for a while longer!

Best moment of the week: Spending time with Britt while we ran errands and did stuff for the baby's nursery. It is so sweet to see him get as excited as me about our sweet baby! 

Check back soon for more on Baby S.

-Jess&Britt





1 comment:

  1. Granddaddy will be so proud of Britt. Gonna share..... I am proud too, of both of you. Love you both❤

    ReplyDelete