BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, June 17, 2012

It's Been a While!

It has been SO long since I have been on here! Today I decided I really want to start blogging regularly...we shall see if I can do it! Since I last posted on here Britt and I got married--hence the blog title's name change--I know, I can't believe we have been married a year either. It is my intension to keep family and friends in the loop of our not-so-exciting life! So I guess I will give it a whirl...

I had AMSTI training for school all week. AMSTI is a "hands-on" math and science initiative that we use in our school. I went through the science training part (math comes in July). Since I have gotten  used to sleeping in and doing whatever my pretty little self pleases during my summer break it was very hard to get up at 6:30 every day to go to the training. It was even more tiring to sit there and exert my brain energy all day! I did learn some valuable information and cute ideas for my kiddos, so I guess it was well worth it. Oh yeah, and they paid me pretty well too; Britt will be glad about that!

Friday night Britt and I had a date night. Our local Carmike Cinemas has a fabulous deal from 4:00-5:30 every day-- $5.50 movie tickets--that's less than the matinĂ©e price, folks! Needless to say, we like to take that good deal up when we go to see a flick on the big screen. Carmike also has our favorite movie snack, caramel popcorn, so we divulged in that while watching our movie. What movie did we see, you ask? We saw That's My Boy with Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg.  If you are looking for a downright raunchy comedy, this is your movie! If not, please do not go see it. Britt and I laughed our little hearts out! When the movie was over we were pretty hungry (despite our caramel popcorn) so we ran to Mellow Mushroom to grab a pizza. We decided on a Red Potato Pizza Pie. It was DE-licious! After devouring our pizza we ran to Whole foods to grab steaks for Father's Day dinner. While we were there we decided to make our own 6-pack of beer (well actually 2 six packs). We were really excited because we found our favorite beer that we drank while we were in Paris. It's called 1664. We grabbed a few of those and then picked out some other beers that appeared to be good summertime beers.                                           

                                                       Here's a peek at what we found!


This morning we slept in--until 8:30--that's pretty late for us. After breakfast we decided to go to a fun farmer's market downtown. We went right over the hill to Pepper Place Market where we got all of this loot! 

                     Broccoli, Okra, Peaches, Tomatoes, and Corn--all from local places in Alabama!

Since moving back to Birmingham last summer we have been on the hunt for new places to eat that are GOOD, have a fun atmosphere, and are not too expensive. We have finally compiled a list of a lot of places we would like to try. Thanks to Birmingham Magazine we found this little place nestled in Avondale. It was yummy to our tummies for lunch today. We had already eaten at the original Saw's BBQ in Edgewood, but who does not like BBQ with a soulful spin?? We sure did! 

Here's what we had: Pulled Pork and Greens over Cheese Grits topped with Onion Rings



 Saw's Soul Kitchen on Urbanspoon


Finally, to end our Saturday I made a recipe from Southern Living's PEACH edition...Peach BBQ Pork Chops. And they were delightful if I do say so myself.

Ingredients

Finished Product

And paired with a great summer Sam Adams 

Well, it seems it's been a busy week in the Smith house. I forgot to update y'all on Britt's status this summer. He is keeping busy working at the BVLP and also taking 2 online classes. In July he will go to Atlanta to work for a judge. I'll check in later for an update on how Father's Day dinner for my daddy goes! 

-j and b





No comments:

Post a Comment