BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Two Trees & Toilet Paper

It'a a tradition that began long ago, way before I was ever thought of. No one knows for sure when "it" began. It is said to have really become what it is today back in 1972 when Auburn beat an undefeated Alabama team that was ranked #2. "It", being rolling the two large oaks at Toomer's Corner in Auburn, AL.  After a major Auburn victory fans rush to Toomer's corner and roll the trees. Rolling the trees is an understatement. It appears as if it has snowed toilet paper when the Auburn faithful are finished celebrating a victory on that special corner in town.

The tradition began for me in 1997. That is the first year my parents decided to order season tickets to the Auburn football games. It is the year a spirit grew in me that will never leave me. It was on September 13, 1997 to be exact. It was my first-ever Auburn football game to attend. I vividly remember walking into Jordan-Hare Stadium and seeing and hearing the sea of Auburn fans. I was in awe. We played Ole Miss and won 19-9. After the game we headed to Toomer's. It was my first experience there. I can't explain the feeling I had seeing the trees being rolled and hearing the fans chanting the Auburn cheers. That's the day the Auburn spirit got in me.

For the next 8 years we continued to go to all of Auburn's home games. I am ashamed to admit that after the late home games I did not like going to Toomer's.  I guess I was just tired. My momma took us there anyway, though. And I am thankful she did.

In 2005 I became a student at Auburn. I met Britt there that year. We occasionally went to  Toomer's through the rest of our college career, but did not take advantage of the tradition as we should have.

In 2010 Auburn had an undefeated season and went on to win the National Championship. A mean-spirited fan of another school took the liberty to poison our beautiful oak trees. We knew our trees would not survive the poison he fed them, but the Auburn family continued our tradition of rolling those trees. As each season came and went, the trees began to look sicker and sicker. It was devastating to watch such a slow process. It was like there was hope they would make a come-back. However, they did not.

So on April 20, 2013 Auburn had its annual spring A-Day football game. We also had a celebration of our Toomer's oak trees. It was called "One Last Roll". A record 83,000+ fans piled into Jordan-Hare Stadium to see what this new football team may have to offer. After the game ended, everyone filed out and headed to Toomer's Corner for one last roll of the trees and a huge celebration of what that tradition means for our Auburn Family. I thought I would cry like a baby during the last roll, but instead I was just happy to be there and experience it one last time.

Britt and I are devastated that our babies will never have the opportunity to experience such a beloved tradition. We took pictures, though. We also bought the book "The Spirit Tree at Toomer's Corner" so we can tell the tale of our tradition to all of our children.
The trees may be gone, but the memories they provided us will forever live on in our hearts! This quote seems to be only appropriate--"I am sorry," said the tree, "but I have nothing left to give you." -Shel Silverstein, The Giving Tree

Some pictures to remember this special day...
Before the A-Day game.
 Walking to the stadium. I can never get enough pictures of this beautiful building. 
 The cups they were giving out.
 I loved seeing my brother. I miss getting to see Ashton and Brooks whenever I want to!
 During the celebration. It was SO crowded we could not get where I wanted to stand. This is the best picture I could get. The trees were much more rolled than this! 
Love, Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment