BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I fibbed...

That's what I did when I said I wasn't sure if I had anymore projects left in me for a while! I indeed did have a few more projects I was able to start and complete. I seriously feel like Martha Stewart these days... If you read the post about our new home, you saw that there were three windows that needed a shade {the kitchen, our bathroom, and Baby S's/the guest bathroom}. I had intended on buying fabric and getting my mom to whip up a shade for each window. I found fabric that I liked at Hobby Lobby{trying to be as cost effective as I could}, but it was still going to cost around $40.00 a window. Now, I know that is CHEAP in reality, let's be real--nice window treatments are hundreds of dollars per window. I will have to wait a while before I can afford that, though! Anyway, we are in the present, not the future.  And $40.00 a window is still not ideal if it can be helped.

Soooo...I decided to search Pinterest until I found a no-sew roman shade I felt comfortable doing myself.  Since we already have blinds I didn't really need a "working" shade-- just something for looks. Lucky me, I found something I knew I could do! This is the one that caught my eye. I made a quick trip to Hancock Fabrics in search of inexpensive fabric that I could use to recreate what I found on Pinterest. I quickly found the burlap section--they had a great selection of burlap for only $5.99/yd. and it was on sale for 30% off--cha-ching!

I chose this really cool yellow/lime greenish burlap for the kitchen. I had jute/twine rope at home that was perfect for tying the shade up. The kitchen window is in a weird place because the cabinets butt up to the window with only about an inch to spare. There was no {easy}way to get a curtain rod in the space. I had some nailhead type pushpins that worked great for hanging this little shade. Total cost of this window treatment=a little over $4.00. I like it!
Next, I made the shade for our bathroom. I chose the "natural" burlap color for this one. I bought two spools of lace to tie it up. Then I stopped at Ross and got a very inexpensive curtain rod. All I had to do was create a rod pocket using hot glue--took less than 5 minutes. Britt hung the curtain rod, then I slipped the shade on it. I used the lace to tie the shade. Britt isn't crazy about the lace, because he thinks it's too girly. We shall see if I find something he likes better. Total cost of this shade {including the curtain rod}= a little over $14.00. Not bad! 
Another view...
 
Last, I whipped up a shade for the baby's/guest bathroom. I went with the same natural burlap color as our bathroom. There was already a curtain rod in the bathroom when we moved in, so all I had to do was buy a yard of fabric and some type of cording {not really sure what to call what it} to tie it up. I used the hot glue gun to create a rod pocket, and in less than 5 minutes, this shade was finished too. Total cost=right at $11.00. 
 
The last thing I {actually Britt} did was recover the chair we found at Scott Antique Market last Saturday. The chair was exactly what I was looking for; the seat just needed to be recovered. On the same trip to Hancock for window treatment fabric, I found the perfect fabric for the chair. It was on sale for $6.00/yd. I snatched it up quickly! All Britt had to do was unscrew the seat, staple the new fabric on the seat cushion, and put the seat back in the chair. This took all of 15-20 minutes. 
All of the supplies we needed...fabric, fabric scissors, a staple gun and staples.
I'm loving how it turned out! 
These projects are seriously the last ones for a while! I don't even think there is anything else to do in our house {aside from hanging the last pictures that need frames}! 

Much love--jess&britt

No comments:

Post a Comment